A Palladian Mansion in the Heart of Bel Air, Maryland
The Liriodendron mansion was built in 1898 as the summer home of Dr. Howard Atwood Kelly, his wife, Laetitia, and their nine children. Dr. Kelly was a lauded surgeon and one of the four founding physicians of the Johns Hopkins Hospital and Medical College.
The 2 1⁄2-story Palladian mansion was designed in the Georgian Revival style by Baltimore architectural firm Wyatt & Nolting. The estate, comprised of multiple buildings and 108 acres of property, is now owned by Harford County as part of Heavenly Waters Park, having been sold to the county by Dr. and Mrs. Kelly’s son, Fritz, in 1980.
The non-profit Liriodendron Foundation was established to manage the property for the public benefit and to raise funds for its support. The Liriodendron was opened in 1981 as a center for Harford County history and cultural arts. It is now used as a wedding, conference, and events venue.
The mansion houses an art gallery which displays exhibits by local and regional artists throughout the year. The Ice House on the property features a prehistoric Native American exhibit. Both are free and open to the public.
The Liriodendron is also host to concerts, lectures, free community events, and other social and cultural offerings. The mansion is open for free tours on Wednesdays, 1 – 7 pm, and Sundays 1 – 4 pm.
The Liriodendron is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
For more information on the mansion and grounds, Dr. Kelly’s life and legacy, events and exhibits, or rental for private events, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-879-4424.
Beautifully Restored Event Venue
Get Involved or Donate
502 West Gordon Street
Bel Air, MD 21014